The Educator Preparation Institute is an alternative teacher certification program that trains nontraditional students as K-12 teachers. EPI enrollees must have at least a bachelor's degree and Florida Department of Education approval to teach in their subject area. Classes meet at night and on weekends to accommodate those who work full time. The program, which is short but intense, can be completed in a year or less. The college lends course textbooks to EPI students, which saves them money. EPI instructors work or have worked for the local school board, so they know the school system and what the community needs. They also understand the realities of today's classroom situation and pass on the skills they have learned.
More educators are needed to offset the state's projected teacher shortage. Santa Fe's EPI seeks people who are qualified to teach in high-need subject areas like reading, mathematics and science. The program also seeks minorities underrepresented in the teaching profession.
An Educator Preparation Institute is a State of Florida approved alternative certification program specifically designed for non-education major baccalaureate degree holders.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with at least a 2.5 GPA. Applicants must be able to provide official transcripts as evidence of the degree.
- Have the knowledge and academic background to teach in the selected subject area. Applicants should visit the Florida Department of Education website to check the competencies and skills required for the selected subject area.
- Be able to demonstrate a clear disposition to teach.
- Be able to pass the school district (Level 2) background check.
- Be able to perform required field experience during the school day.
- Pass the Subject Area Exam and General Knowledge Test prior to entering the program.
- Pass the Professional Education Test prior to earning the professional certificate.
Program Completion Requirements
- Successful completion of all EPI modules
- Complete with a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Passing score on the Professional Education Test
- Satisfactory evaluation by instructors on Teacher Disposition throughout the student's enrollment
- Successful completion of portfolio artifacts demonstrating the Florida Educator Accomplished Practices
Gainful Employment Information
Educator Preparation Institution
- U.S. Department of Labor's Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) Code: 25-2021.00, 25-2022.00, 25-2031.00
- Tuition and fees: $2,203.56
- Books and Supplies: $400.00
- Job Placement Rate: 100%
- Link to Occupational Profile on U.S. Department of Labor's O*NET
- More Gainful Employment Information