For Students

Study Abroad Guide

Santa Fe College recognizes your need to have international experience in order to compete in the global job market. To help meet that need, the International Education Office advises students on SF faculty-led programs as well as outside programs. The general differences between the two are:

SF faculty-led programs:

  • Are developed and led by Santa Fe faculty members
  • Give Santa Fe credit
  • Tend to be shorter - one to two weeks
  • Are part of a semester of on-campus coursework
  • Can be much less expensive than outside programs
  • May have opportunities such as internships and service-learning attached
  • To find out more about SF programs click here.

Outside programs

  • Are developed and run by other universities or providers
  • Give outside credit (that may transfer to SF)
  • Range from very short to very long - one week to a semester to an entire degree
  • May have opportunities such as internships and service-learning attached
  • Are more likely to be eligible for outside funding if longer than four weeks

*If you think that at outside program is the best for you, check out the Other International Opportunities at Santa Fe.

The SF Lawrence W. Tyree Library has many resources for you to explore as you research your destination, funding for your trip, and how to prepare for departure. Search through their Study Abroad Page and read the SF Study Abroad Handbook.

No matter what type of program you are interested in, the Disability Resource Center is available to discuss appropriate academic accommodations that you may require as a student with a disability. Requests for academic accommodations need to be made as soon as possible so arrangements can be made. You must be registered with Disabilities Resource Center (DRC) in S-229 for disability verification and determination of reasonable academic accommodations. Facilities in other countries may not meet American standards of accessibility for persons with special needs. In some cases, appropriate accommodations may not be available.

How to Get a Passport or Visa

You will need to acquire a passport for almost any study abroad program. Since a passport is valid for 10 years, it is an investment in your future. As soon as you are considering studying abroad, you should apply for a passport. To do so, go to the U.S. Department of State Passports website.

There are a number of countries you can travel to without a visa. Therefore, before you apply for one, make sure that it is necessary. If you are on a Santa Fe College study abroad program, your program leader will help you through the process of applying for a visa. If you are on an outside program, you will need to check the appropriate consulate website to obtain instructions for how to apply for a visa. You can use the U.S. Department of State Country Specific Information database to find more information. Look under "Entry/Exit Requirements for U.S. Citizens." Remember that: