Information for Parents
Santa Fe Study Abroad Programs are created with several goals in mind:
- Follow Best Practices for Safety
- Maintain Academic Rigor
- Provide students an opportunity to gain aspect(s) of cultural/global competency, including awareness and sensitivity to different cultures, language acquisition, and/or knowledge of their field of study from the perspective of another culture
The programs are developed by Santa Fe faculty members who have experience as well as great interest, enthusiasm, and knowledge in the region where they will be taking students.
At Santa Fe College, we follow many security procedures to ensure that students who go on our study abroad programs are prepared to maintain their health and safety. Some of our procedures include:
- We will not allow a study abroad program to go to a country that is listed under the U.S. Department of State Current Travel Warnings.
- We require participants to purchase travel insurance for their time abroad.
- We require participants to attend pre-departure orientations during which safety and health issues are discussed.
- We provide participants with emergency contact cards that they are required to have with them for the duration of their trip.
There are many other procedures that we follow as well and reputable outside programs tend to maintain the same or very similar practices. If you are worried about the safety of a study abroad program or have any other questions, feel free to contact Paloma Rodriguez at (352) 395-5607. You can find international safety and health information on this webpage maintained by NAFSA: Association of International Educators.
There are many books out there on study abroad or international experience. A few of them are listed below with a brief explanation of contents.
- The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
This book is about the lessons learned by a family that sold everything and moved abroad. Learn how they set up great opportunities for their children.
- Study Abroad 101
Study Abroad 101 discusses everything a student should know about studying abroad, from when they first begin to think about it through their return to the United States.
- Study Abroad for Dummies
This book is another comprehensive look at the process of studying abroad. It guides students through finding a program, applying for a program, staying healthy while abroad, and more.