Federal Work Study
Federal Work Study (FWS) is a need-based student work program. Students are awarded based on position availability and the application date of their Santa Fe Federal Work Study application, also referred to as SF FWS. Awards are estimated at 20 hours per week. Students are paid minimum wage bi-monthly.
FWS is intended to provide a real-life job finding experience for the student, as well as, a streamlined process that mirrors other SF employment processes. FWS allows you to earn money through meaningful employment.
- Have a valid GED, high school diploma, or its equivalent received and evaluated by Admissions
- Must be degree-seeking at Santa Fe College
- Enrolled in at least six (6) fundable credit hours during the fall or spring term, or enrolled in at least three (3) fundable credits during the summer term. Exceptions for a student not enrolled in summer will be considered on a case by case basis
- Currently meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards, per institutional policy
- All student who have indicated interest in FWS will have their names added to the FWS waitlist, but not all will be guaranteed an award
- Pass a background check with SF Human Resources (HR)
- Students must complete a FAFSA and indicate that they are interested in FWS. Students should then complete the SF FWS application (available on our website) and submit it to the FA office.
- Students will be awarded FWS on a first-come, first-serve basis according to the date they submitted the SF FWS application to our office.
- Students that have been awarded FWS/ FWEP will be sent a notification and will be able to see job openings from a link on eSantaFe. (Only awarded students will be able to see)
- Within 2 weeks the student will contact the supervisor to set up an interview to discuss employment. The student is expected to complete the SF application and submit it to HR prior to their interview.
- If chosen, the Financial Aid office will notify the student of the intent to hire, FWS appointment, and what is required to complete their HR file.
- Department Budget Authorities request positions (must appoint supervisor to oversee FWS, timesheets, schedules, and records)
- Recommendations for approval of position allocations made by the FWS/FWEP committee to the Vice Presidents. The VPs will determine final allocations based on staffing needs of the college.
- Departments will be informed of status of their request for FWS/FWEP: approved, alternate, or denied.
- Approved position information including: job title, job description, suggested experience, and supervisor name and contact information will be viewable on eSantaFe.
- The department will conduct interviews with students to determine which student they want to hire.
- Once the supervisor determines the applicant they wish to hire, they will complete a Request for FWS Appointment form and forward it to the Financial Aid Work Study Specialist.